Legal Terms of Business
- When placing an order on this website or by telephoning us, you are agreeing to and accepting our following terms and conditions of business.
- Our staff work very hard and long hours everyday to provide all our animals with the very best care and attention. Our staff also strive very hard to help all our customers. Staff are frequently under pressure to dispatch orders. We will not tolerate rude or offensive behaviour. If such a situation arises, we will simply refund your money and your purchase with us will be cancelled.
- In accordance with our license (section 6.1) issued under the Pet Animal Act 1951, ‘all stock for sale must be in good health and free from obvious parasitic infection as far as can be reasonably determined without veterinary inspection.’ This includes ‘ticks’ which just like dogs, tortoises can on rare occasions pick up.
- We frequently place a white ‘Tipex’ mark on tortoises shells. This is confirmation to our staff that the tortoise has been seen to feed. Do not worry if you receive a tortoise without a ‘Tipex’ mark. We cannot possibly mark every tortoise. We try to only send tortoises with a ‘Tipex’ mark. Tipex is harmless to the tortoise shell and will naturally wear off given time. We are the only company to mark their tortoises in this assuring way.
- Guarantee. In the unlikely event that your tortoise dies during the guarantee period (thirty days), you must first obtain and pay for ‘a professional report,’ to confirm that, the death was undoubtedly attributable to a disease or illness, that was present in the tortoise when we sold it to you. Our guarantee of thirty days is to our retail customers only.
- We will not accept liability for the cost for you to obtain (5) above, ‘a professional report.’
- We will not accept any liability for any veterinary fees you the customer may incur. It is good sensible practice, to insure all animals for veterinary fees.
- We will check to ensure you have provided the correct, housing, heating, UVA and UVB lighting, and diet for the tortoise we sold you. We have been Professionally licensed in the retail pet business for about thirty six years.
- You must show that you have followed all the FREE written and verbal animal welfare advice we provided you with. As there is so much conflicting welfare advice circulating about tortoises. Listening to advice from a third party will invalidate your guarantee with us.
- Chargebacks. In the unlikely event, that you feel it necessary to raise an issue with your payment provider, eg PayPal or any other similar debit or credit card payment provider, you the customer are hereby agreeing, to first raise any concern, with us the seller. You agree to do this by email, so an accurate record is established. You the customer further agree to allow us the seller, ten working days to respond to you. If your payment provider, settles a claim for a refund you make against us, you will have ten working days, at your sole cost, to return all the goods to us, in their original purchased condition. If the goods are not returned in this condition, and within this time period, we will take debt recovery action to recover all our financial loss. In any dispute or legal claim, only English Jurisdiction Law will apply. Any claims for so called ‘Product not as described’ must be reported to us, (1) within six hours of your delivery being received and (2) reported to us by email with a detailed reason why you are claiming ‘not as described.’ No claims will be considered after this six hour period.
- In the unlikely event, that an endangered species (Appendix A) is to be replaced by us, the CITES documentation ‘Article 10’ given to you at the time of delivery, must be returned to us, before we will arrange a replacement.
- Article 10 Certificates. We do not, and we are not Legally required to retain copies of any Article 10 Certificates, when a tortoise legally requiring an Article 10 Certificate is sold to you. There is currently no charge made for this certificate, you do not have to send it away to get your name and address in box 1, and it does not expire. We strongly suggest you make photocopies, and file them in different places. The Law states if you then sell or gift the tortoise to anyone, then the Article 10 Certificate must be given to the new owner.
- In offering you any livestock replacement, you the customer, must first pay us the full unsubsidised delivery charge, before we make arrangements for your replacement to be sent. The unsubsidised delivery charges are between £50.00 and £65.00 depending upon your post code.
- It is not possible to guarantee the sex, or size or age, of the tortoise you are purchasing, unless this is specifically stated: in an Article 10 Certificate, on our website, or is stated in an email from us, before placing your order. Generally with Horsfields, Hermanns and Leopard tortoises we are only aware of the year of hatch
- Husbandry. It is a sign of good Professional animal welfare husbandry, to always quarantine all newly acquired tortoises for as long as possible, even when originating from the same source, but purchased at different times. Different species of tortoises should not be mixed.
- Returns, refund and cancellation policy. In accordance with the distance selling law you have a 7 day cooling off period in which you have the right to cancel your purchase and receive a refund for the products excluding any postage or delivery costs. This is subject to (a) the products being returned to us by you the customer, in their original condition, (b) cost for the products return at the customers own expense, (c) all returned products are subject to a 20% restocking fee and (d) before returning any product, you must first obtain from our customer services team via email, a ‘returns number.’ If you cancel your order before we deliver it to you, the same conditions of refund, as outlined in (12) above will apply. In addition to these conditions of refund, where we ourselves do not deliver the item you have ordered, we contract out the delivery to WalkersEuropeanTransport. We subsidise their standard delivery charge. Where we have already made this booking with WalkersEuropeanTransport, (before we receive your cancellation of order by email), we will charge you their full livestock delivery cost of £50.00 or £65.00 depending on your delivery post code.
- Contact Customer Service. Our Customer Service team can be contacted via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- When emailing us you are require to quote your four digit Order Number in the Subject line. This order number is only available to you if you have placed your order online.
- Minimum age to purchase Livestock. As you the customer are purchasing a live animal from us, you confirm by making a purchase from this website, that you are (a) 16 years of age or older, and (b) that you have the appropriate knowledge and housing to provide for the animals continued welfare. If you are ordering from us online, we are happy to offer you the correct care advice by telephone, to ensure your choice of species of tortoise is the right one for you. If you would like our telephone advice, please call our shop after 12 noon Monday to Friday on 01278 238610.
- Unlike any other company we provide two Caresheets for Leopard tortoises to try and ensure purchasers will cater correctly for the animals welfare.
- Receipt of your order. We aim to acknowledge receipt of your order and emails normally within two working days. (We define a working day as Monday to Friday excluding Public and Bank holidays). PLEASE NOTE our animals are always our number one priority. Mornings everyday are always, devoted to their welfare needs. We rarely get the opportunity to deal with any emails, orders or phone calls before 12 noon.
- Delivery. We will contact you via email at the earliest possible opportunity, to arrange a mutually convenient date to deliver your new tortoise. Deliveries are only made by WalkersEuropeanTransport on Thursday’s. Please note, we never deliver tortoises without first agreeing a delivery date with you, via email. Once we have offered you a proposed delivery date by email, you need to email us back to confirm that a responsible person will be available at the delivery address on the agreed date. Please check your SPAM and JUNK Folders and ADD us to your safe Contacts, to ensure you receive our timely emails. This DOES NOT mean you will automatically get a delivery on the first Thursday after placing your order. A delivery time cannot be offered due to various factors outside the delivery drivers control, road traffic conditions, weather etc. You the customer are agreeing to accept a delivery only on an agreed day. There is no door to door service to the Isle of Wight. Customers there will be sent a Text or call when the driver has loaded your consignment on the Hovercraft.
- If you request a delivery on a specific THURSDAY, please note. you MUST after placing your order, send us an email requesting the specific delivery date, we will then email you to confirm that the date is either acceptable OR offer you an alternative date.
- Due to the effects of BREXIT Walkers Transport regrettably no longer deliver to Northern or Southern Ireland.
- Delivery Surcharges & Excluded Post Codes where we cannot deliver to. Certain areas/post codes of the UK Scotland, are subject to a livestock delivery surcharge of between £15 and £25. There is no surcharge for delivery via the Hovercraft for transport to Isle of Wight. We will inform you if there is a surcharge which applies to your order. If it does and you do not wish to pay this surcharge, we will refund your order payment in full. Any surcharge must be paid by telephone when we call you during the processing of your order. Walkers Transport are no longer offering deliveries to the following post codes: All KW, IV20 to IV28 and IV40, PA20 to PA40 and PA30 – PH50
- Tracking. There is no tracking available for Livestock.
- Special Offers. Special Offers which usually offer significant savings compared with normal prices, may be withdrawn at anytime, and may only be available for delivery on certain dates. There may be a slight delay between ordering and receiving delivery of Special Offers.
- Livestock Delivery Charge. Our standard delivery charge for Livestock is still just £39.95 This is added automatically at Checkout.
- If you need to contact us, either send us an email via this website, or Telephone our shop Monday to Saturday after 12 noon on 01278 238610.
- We are Licensed under The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 – Assessed as qualifying for 3 Stars – Our trading licensing number is: M:030527 Sedgemoor. Our trading license is valid until 31st December 2021.
- Our latest unannounced Inspection of all our Animals was made by our local authority on the 8th October 2020. No issues were found.
32. All Tortoises and dry good products, remain the property of Tortoisesuk.co.uk until paid for in full.
33. We reserve the right to amend and update our Legal Terms of Business at any time without notice.
All future amendments and alterations will appear on this page.
Last Updated:1st March 2021